Culpeper Juvenile Correctional Center, with a budgeted capacity of 144, is located approximately five miles south of the town of Culpeper, and half a mile south of the town of Mitchells, in Virginia on Route 615. Culpeper Juvenile Correctional Center opened in March 1999 and was designed as a maximum security facility.
The Correctional Center currently houses the 18-20 year-old Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court and Circuit Court male offenders. The facility has a housing capacity of 250 single cells for the general population, 14 single cells for isolation/segregation, and 6 single cells in the infirmary.
Culpeper offers therapeutic residential treatment services and programs for the juveniles. The Department of Correctional Education operates the educational programs which include high school diplomas, GED, vocational training and college courses.
The Culpeper Treatment Programs and Educational Services includes the following:Sex Offender:
Residential Substance Abuse Treatment:
- 18 yrs and older; Self-Contained Treatment
- 24 Beds
- 12-24 Month Program
- Individual/Group Therapy
- Psycho-educational Sex Offender Groups
- Aftercare Services for Program Completers
Anger Management (Educational Curriculum):
- Individual/Group Therapy
- Therapeutic Community Program
- Psycho-educational Substance Abuse Groups
- Aftercare Services
- Anger Management is offered to all Wards housed in the Culpeper Juvenile Correctional Center
Culpeper Juvenile Correctional Center has either on staff or on contract, the following professional services:
- Medical Doctor
- Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Social Workers
Approved immediate family members may have contact visits on:
- Sundays 8:30 A.M. - 10:30 A.M. or 12:30 P.M. - 2:30 P.M.
Family Video Visitation Conferencing - New Jubilee and Family Life Center have joined with the Department of Juvenile Justice to offer families an opportunity to come together through video conferencing. The fee for this program is $15.00 for a family (up to 5 people) to visit with their child (resident) for one hour on Sundays. Please contact CJCC to find out more information about this program.
Special visits (death in family, extended family, out of town family members, etc.) can be requested through the Superintendent's office and will be approved by the Superintendent on a case by case basis. These visits will take place Monday-Friday during normal work hours to ensure proper supervision of visit.Visitation Rules and Regulations:
Regulations on Correspondence
- Visitors must present a picture ID at the time of the visit and be dressed appropriately in order to be permitted to enter the visiting room
- No items may be taken into the visiting room
- Visitors are provided with lockers for keys, purses, or other small personal property at a cost of $.25 per locker. In addition, a change machine is also available
(mail, packages, cash, checks or money orders
- Juveniles may receive letters and appropriate small photographs through the mail
- Packages, checks or cash are not accepted and will be returned to the sender
- Money Orders, made out to Culpeper Juvenile Correctional Center or in the name of the juvenile, may be sent to the juvenile through the mail
- The money order will be placed in the resident's account. Upon release from the institution, the juvenile will be given any money remaining in the account in the form of a check
- Juveniles may not send property out of the institution, but may send items home with an approved visitor on visiting day, and with the approval of the juvenile's counselor