The DJJ Office of Capital Outlay Management provides evaluation, planning, design and construction administration and management support services to Juvenile Correctional Centers (JCCs), the agency central office, and the regional detention centers, treatment centers and group homes throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. All facets of the DJJ physical plant and buildings inventory are supported by the Capital Outlay Unit with approved Capital Funding, Maintenance Reserve Funding and through advanced six-year planning agency funding requests submitted to the Department of Planning and Budget; and through facility-generated service requests and emergency requests or other approved funding.
Capital Outlay is responsible for:
- Reviewing design and construction documents for local and regional detention centers, treatment centers and group homes to insure compliance with agency design standards.
- Acting as professional consulting base for the local and regional facilities as well, assisting with design and construction problems, and being available for firsthand physical plant evaluation visits.
- Working with the DJJ Division of Education in providing and maintaining excellent school, continuing education, and vocational and technical curriculum spaces at each JCC.
- Proposing and defining DJJ design and construction standards.
- Providing agency physical plant master planning.
- Providing in-house professional architectural and engineering services and consulting services through the maintenance of Term A/E Contracts.
- Providing in-house professional project management services from programming and design to construction and project close-out, for both capital and non-capital projects.
- Providing in-house professional construction management and administration services for capital and non-capital projects.
- Coordinating with the Virginia Department of Historic Resources for DJJ-owned properties which are eligible for the Virginia Landmarks register when such properties are altered or improved.